9/19/08

My Picks

Let's just get started with the "Big" game in my book, and then proceed to the other highlight games of the weekend.

Alabama vs. Arkansas

This one always makes me a little nervous, since the teams always seem to play it down-to-the-wire. Bama's leading the nation in defense against the rush, but Arkansas' quarterback has been on-fire in his passing yards and percentage, so we've got to be tough against the pass as well. I think the key will be Bama having some long, sustained drives (good power rushing from Mark Ingram, anyone?) to keep Arkanasas off the field. I feel like we are the better team by quite a bit (I think we actually have the talent to win by three or four touchdowns), but you never know with an SEC game on the road. I'm going to ignore my nervous feelings a bit and trust that Coach Saban has the team ready and moving along on "the process."

Alabama 24-14

Other games going on...

Auburn vs. LSU

Oh, what a quandary we have. Should I cheer for Auburn or LSU (I'm not a crazy Bama fan who always cheers against Auburn; I usually pick whatever will increase our chances to win the West)? And should I pick Auburn or LSU? They're both hard to figure out. Their defenses are awesome (although LSU hasn't really played any sort of competition yet), and their offenses are struggling. This game is always a low-scoring, defensive battle; and I'm going to predict something similar. I think Auburn wins a close win, aided by the home field advantage (although nothing will surprise me).

Auburn 13-10

Ole Miss vs. Vandy

I actually think this might be the most interesting game of the SEC matchups this week. Both teams have promise (Vandy is 3-0!) and have played well so far. Ole Miss may have the league's most entertaining quarterback and Vandy's defense is playing lights-out. I'm actually cheering for both of them to become bowl-eligible this year (only makes the SEC look better). I'm picking the Rebels in a buzzer-beater.

Ole Miss 23-20

Florida vs. Tennessee

Could get messy quick (with Florida destroying Tennessee). Or it could get surprising quick (with Tennessee pulling something out of its hat and catching us all off-guard). You never know in Neyland Stadium. I still think Florida wins, on the strength of Tebow and Harvin.

Florida 35-17

Georgia vs. Arizona State

This game has lost some of its luster after ASU decided to choke against UNLV last weekend. But still, it will be a good one to gauge the strength of Georgia; they looked uninspired against South Carolina, plus it's a long road trip out west. Still, Georgia prevails (in one closer than expected).

Georgia 28-24

And some other picks for reasons that I will reveal to you...

Texas vs. Rice

My family (especially brother and father) have burnt orange in their veins, and they are officially my "second favorite college team." Texas still hasn't convinced me yet of their rankings (similar, actually, to how I feel about Alabama) and I'm ready to see them play some tough Big 12 competition. But, Rice (even though a good C-USA opponent) shouldn't be much work for the Horns.

Texas 41-17

Notre Dame vs. Michigan State

I will have to apologize ahead of time for this one, but my daughter Delaney is a big Notre Dame fan for some odd reason (last week at the Bama game, she was honestly searching the score scroll for a ND update). I enjoy tormenting her when they lose, but I let her bask a little bit in the win last week against Michigan. Not so much this week, though.

Michigan State 28-14

Purdue vs. Central Michigan

For reasons that only bloggers will understand, I have become a Purdue Boilermakers fan. All because I have become friends with a fellow blogger who is a former Purdue cheerleader and an avid fan worthy of my respect (he seems as "crazed" about his team as I am for Bama!). And, because of Phats, I now find myself cheering for Purdue whenever I can find them on tv. Purdue had a heartbreaker of a lost last week in double overtime, and think that this week's game will give them a much-deserved win.

Purdue 31-20

Any other games you guys are especially interested in this week? (It's sort of a strange week, since neither the country's #1 or #2 are playing, so most eyes will be on the SEC.) Any different takes on my picks?

4 comments:

Gary K Wray said...

Auburn loses by 7 and Vandy wins by 3.

Sorry.... :)

Cheryl Wray said...

Hey, I'd be fine if Auburn lost by 7!!! I think the Vandy/Ole Miss game's gonna be a good one. I just won't be the tv all day watching them all!! :-(

Phats said...

UGH I wrote a comment and it was eaten by blog, if you get this twice sorry!

BOILER UP toot toot BOILER UP!

Good picks, I think Auburn/LSU will be the best game of the day, but do you really think Auburn can win when they only put 3 pts up on a bad Miss St. Team? UGA/ASU could have been a good game but the Devils blew it losing to UNLV.

Thanks for including my Beloved Boilers!! I like the helmets that's a good idea, if you ever do guest pickers you know where to find me ;) Now about those BLT's Gary promised me

Gary K Wray said...

There was a lot of razor back bacon in Arkansas this weekend. The Tide got to fill up on BLT's!!!