9/18/08

Razorback Memories

I'm a Bama fan through and through, no doubt about it.

But...

I lived in Fayetteville, Arkansas, from the time I was six until I was almost 14 (with a year, way back in 1976, in the land of the Longhorns!), and really loved my days there. The town is quaint, the surrounding Ozark Mountains are beautiful, and there is something to be said for growing up as a Hogs fan.

So, yes...

I wore my share of Razorback shirts.

I went to basketball games at Barnhill Arena.

I actually owned a Coach Lou Holtz doll.

And I have actually had one of those plastic Razorback hats on my head.

Of course, I went on to "see the light" and exhanged red for crimson and "Wooe Pig Sooie" for "Roll Tide!!"

Still, though, I have fond memories of my childhood days in Fayetteville and, as a result, I always look forward to the Alabama-Arkansas football game.

It's almost always an entertaining game. It usually sets the course for the rest of the two teams' seasons. It's always a big first test for both of us.

And, because of those factors, the game always makes me a little bit nervous. I always have that little, gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach as game time approaches.

This year is no different.

On paper, I think that Alabama is the better team. I feel like we should win, and we might perhaps win by a few touchdowns.

But, that little corner of my mind that still remembers the intensity that those players and fans play with (remember: I was a six-year-old who yelled ferociously for them!), is a little nervous.

I can't wait for game day to get here. I'm ready to roll. And--good memories of my childhood days aside--I'm ready to beat these Hogs and keep the winning days going!

1 comment:

Phats said...

I hope you're still my friend after you see the prediction, after reading this I feel a little better haha